Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Rerouting the Camino California Style

I left Glen Ellen in the wee hours of the morning (4:15 a.m.) Flew out of San Franciso via Dulles (Washington D.C.) At Dulles, I ran into a major snag. The plane was supposed leave at 9:52 p.m. heading to London. They boarded us promptly and then promptly had us sitting in the gate in the plane for over 2 hours. Initially it was not that bad because I had a 1st class seat and was repeatedly asked "Ms. Ashmore would you like...a cocktail, a glass of water, what do you want for your main entre, are you comfortable, do you need another pillow, may I show you how to recline your chair, how to turn on the video" Very accomodating. I think I know why people pay the big bucks for 1st class. I it probably the only time in your life that you really getted treated like royalty.

Then it went down hill from here. The Captain announced that there was a problem with the radar antennae but the crew was working on it and should have it fixed in about a half hour. Then another half hour passed. Then another. The Captain then announced that there was just one more little small wire that needed to be replaced, but the crew would need to turn the plane off...reboot it so to speak. Could we all just get up off the plane for 5 minutes...don't worry leave your belongings...just going to have you step out into the gate area...don't go anywhere. Three and half hours later (2:20 a.m.) they announce they cannot fix it. Cancelling the flight. Gave us hotel vouchers and said we don't get to fly out until the following day at 6:26 p.m. By that time it is already 4:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning. Get a taxi (with voucher) to Hilton $450/night suite. I am thinking wow this is cool considering I just missed my connecting flight to Spain. Call Iberia at 5:00 a.m. help!!! They say not there problem United's problem. You have just lost your entire itininery including confirmed return flight from Spain. I have to buy another ticket to Spain, but I don't get to fly out of London when I finally arrive, I have to wait a day. So now I am down two days into my trip and my friends are waiting for me.

So Looking For Jimmy included a side trip into London for the day. Turned out to be an OK day. Took the Picadilly Line from Heathrow into London. Hopped on the Hop On and Off Buse and took a three hour ride through London. Saw the London Bridge, Westminster Abbey and Chapel, Parliment, Buckingham Palace, Traflagar Square, and lots and lots of really old churches, and the Thames River, where people got hung and where they got thrown into dungeons. Found my way around by bus and the underground.

Tomorrow I am off again in the wee hours of the morn to Spain. Arrive in Madrid then plane to Santiago, drop off my extra stuff at the hotel in Santiago, catch a bus to Ponferrada, then a taxi to Villafranca and then another taxi up the hill to catch to wherever Sue and Pat are (maybe Ruitelan) and then.....ta daaa...trumpet sounds...maybe I actually get to carry my pack on the Camino instead through multiple airports.

I tell you, I think it is easier to come into the United States illegally than it is to get flight out of the United States legally. Met wonderful people through this experience. Londoners are very friendly and helpful. Lookingforjimmy signing off in London...ohhh jimmy mack when are you coming back.

No comments: