Saturday, May 17, 2008

We arrived in Sarria. Today walked from Ruetalan. Uphill all the way...a 600m increase in elevation. We made arrangements for packs to be hauled to O'ceibero, the top of the hill at 1300m. It was beautiful climbing thru a river valley along a river up to along a ridgeline. Kept looking back and could not believe where we came from down below. It was really great not to have to carry my pack for this steep climb. We only walked about 15km today. The girls were breaking me for tomorrow when we walk to Portomarin which about 22km or we may walk a little farther if we are up for it.

Pat went to bed early tonite. Sue and I wondered down to a bar to discuss with owner who offers a service to carry our packs to Portomarin. We think we could really cover some miles that way with us all carrying little napsacks.

Today after we arrived in O'ceibero we took a taxi to Sarria because it was 22km of downhill on a very busy steep and curvy road. Plus we had to make up some time due to my delayed arrival. There may be a couple more times we will do that so that we can finish time.

I am now sitting on my top bunk after a wonderful dinner of paella (this region is known for it's seafood). We are in a beautiful pensione dorm room that sleeps 12 people. This is a beautiful place. There was a little spat between two women about whether we should be allowed to bring our boots into the room. They went on for several minutes. I may think twice next time about all women's room. They just bickered and tried to pull other people into. I just left for awile until everything calmed down.

Enough for now...lots of laughing here and hopefully more come. Did I mention lots of churches?

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you made it! It sounds like a good time. Wish I was there! Tell the mom hello for me.