Friday, May 23, 2008

Santiago de Compostela

Today Sue and Pat left in the wee hours of the morning leaving me to Santiago. A very lazy day wandering through the streets of the old city. I am able to find my way around rather well. Found a short cut to the Catherdral from my hotel the first day instead of going around through the maze. My room is about 800 meters from the Cathedral widing through the city streets and stairs up to the Praza. There are multiple Prazas with various churches, museums, paradors, etc. It is very beautiful. I am grateful that I have a good sense of direction. Poor Pat kept getting lost when out by herself...caught in the maze of streets.

It has been raining torrentially today and a forecast of same for the next five days. I am very grateful we only had gentle rain on and off for the days I walked. In fact our last day walking into Santiago was sunny. Several times today I just sat it out because it was just too much to wander around in even with my poncho.

Visited Jimmy again today. Everytime I enter the Cathedral I see something new. Found my way back to the Crepe Cafe to have a wonderful meal of salad and asparagus crepe with a glass of the local Alberria ( vinho blanco). It is different everytime I have it but kind of like a Chenin Blanc...crisp and refreshing...and goes well with the seafood of this region and for a late lunch. Lunch is between 2:30 and 4:00 p.m. Many things close down during this time and begin opening up again after 5:00 pm. Restaurants do not open for dinner until 9:00 p.m. It really is not that strange since it does not get dark here until 10:00 p.m.

Discovered the pleasure of a cup of cafe con chocolate. It is like drinking liquid chocolate. It is absolutely wonderful. Last night after a couple of bottles of vinho tinto (Riberia ), crusty bread, thinly sliced serrano ham (Jamon), and olives. We ventured out in search of a highly recommended tapas restaurant at about 11:00 pm. We did not find the recommended place but found another that fared just as well. Met a german named Joachim (Joey)...he liked it that I was looking for Jimmy. He was sad that he was leaving tomorrow as well. He had walked the additional 100 km to Finistre and back. He said now we go home. He just did not know how he could share much with anyone at home. There was just so much and yet it was only walking every day for 6 weeks. The mere physicality of the walk and what with that and the daily encounters that were ordinary and extraordinary where do you begin. I know Sue and Pat were experiencing a little of that.

It is interesting for me because every day many things happened...ordinary and extraordinary. It is hard to put into words. I do feel grateful and blessed for this experience. I would have liked to have walked another 10 days or so because my 5 days of walking was not enough time. I did get to experience some of the physical difficulties re foot problems, blisters, and foot fatigue, etc., catching a cold. I think more time would have given me the opportunity to have created some relationships along the way. I just felt like I had just gotten into my own rythmn and then we were here.

I will now have another day by myself to attempt to experience more and adsorb what I am seeing and doing. Because I do not speak the language it is very challenging. Lots of sign language and smiling. If I let myself listen to the entire thing that is being said to me, I can sort of get the gist. It gets complicated when they throw Gallega into the conversation. So I am in a semi-state of silence due to the communication thing. Not so bad actually. It forces me to observe more closely.

Adios for now. Jimmy is still everywhere.

No comments: